What is Christian discipleship? A Christian disciple is a person who is called, accepts, and assists in the spreading of the good news of Jesus Christ. Christian discipleship is the process by which disciples grow in the Lord Jesus Christ and are equipped by the Holy Spirit, who resides in our hearts, to overcome the pressures and trials of this present life and become more and more Christ like. This process requires believers to respond to the Holy Spirit’s prompting to examine their thoughts, words and actions and compare them with the Word of God. This requires that we be in the Word daily-studying it, praying over it, and obeying it. In addition, we should always be ready to give testimony of the reason for the hope that is within us (1 Peter 3:15) and to disciple others to walk in His way. When Jesus calls a person, the response to the call holds the same implications today as it did for the first disciples. A path must be chosen, discipleship or the world, when Jesus says, “Follow me.”
According to Scripture, being a Christian disciple involves personal growth characterized by the following:
- Putting Jesus first in all things (Mark 8:34-38). A disciple of Christ needs to be set apart from the world. Our focus should be on our Lord and pleasing Him in every area of our lives. We must put off self-centeredness and put on Christ-centeredness.
- Following Jesus’ teachings (John 8:31-32). We must be obedient children and doers of the Word. Obedience is the supreme test of our faith, and Jesus is the perfect example of obedience as He lived a life on earth of complete obedience to the Father even to the point of death (Philippians 3:6-8).
- Fruitfulness (John 15:5-8). Our job is not producing fruit. Our job is to abide in Christ, and if we do, the Holy Spirit will produce the fruit, and this fruit is the result of our obedience. As we become more obedient to the Lord and learn to walk in His ways, our lives will change. We will be transformed into the image of Christ for the sake of others.
- Love for one another (John 13:34-35). We are told that love of others is the evidence of our being a member of God’s family (1 John 3:10). Love is described in 1 Corinthians 13: 1-13. These verses show us that love is not an emotion; it is action. We must be involved.
- Evangelism – Making disciples of others (Matthew 28: 18-20). We are to share our faith and tell nonbelievers about the wonderful changes Jesus Christ has made in our lives. No matter what our maturity level in the Christian life, we have something to offer. Too often, we believe the lie from Satan that we don’t really know how to tell others about Christ. This lie is not true! Some of the best proclaimers of the faith are new believers. They may not know many Bible verses nor some presubscribed method of evangelism, but they have experienced the love of the living God. It is this experience, your individual experience with God, which we are to share with others.
Grace & Peace, Pastor Bob
AS MANY OF YOU ALREADY KNOW, worship and church sponsored small groups have been canceled effective immediately until further notice.
Even though we cannot gather for worship at this time, the church bills have not stopped. The church is getting by “paycheck to paycheck”, like many of you. We are taking measures to try to weather storm, so we return to worship and continue to serve the community when the situation improves. There is not much in the budget that can be trimmed, as so we need our members to continue to contribute what you can as to tithings and offerings.
* Monday’s of every week we will collect, record and deposit any pledges, Donations and Loose Funds. Please mail to the church at: 1st UMC of Chenango Bridge, PO Box 501, Chenango Bridge, 13745.
* Bank Accounts and Expenses will be reviewed weekly to ensure Bills are paid in a timely manner.
* Any financial questions should be directed to David Lewis at 607.727.0250.
* Search for any potential financial opportunities that will provide additional income to meet the continue operation expenses through this unknown period.
God Bless & Stay Safe, FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH, CHENANGO BRIDGE-CHURCH COUNCIL
No small groups will be meeting at the church due to the corona virus until the ban is lifted. Some groups are meeting online ⭐. Please contact your group leader for more information.
Sunday School. Sunday mornings 9:00 AM. Any one willing to volunteer as a sub please email Robin Stolarcyk. Open to all youth pre-k through high school. Please contact Robin Stolarcyk for more information. (Contact the church office for Robin’s email address)
Christian Fellowship Class. Sunday mornings 9:00 AM. Please join us. Please contact Shirley Prentice for more information.
⭐Pastor’s Study & Prayer Group: Sunday mornings 11:30 AM, Room B6. Everyone is welcome to join. Questions contact Pastor Bob (910) 260-0551 or 648-4326. (Meeting online right now contact Pastor Bob for details.)
Youth Group meetings, 1st & 3rd Sunday evening of each month at 6:00- 8:00 PM in the Loft. All youth 5th – 12th Grade are invited to attend. Please contact: President: Mason Stolarcyk, or Pastor Bob (910) 260-0551 for more information.
Unity Circle: Ladies Group, 2nd Monday of every month 11:00 AM. All ladies are invited to join. Contact Bev Hamm for more information. (Some dates the ladies have luncheon’s instead so check with Bev if you are interested in joining.) No meetings in January, February, July & August.
⭐Monday Night Ladies Book Study. Please join us for our planning session September 14, 6:30- 7:15 pm for this next study! No experience required. Zoom Meeting: https://us04web.zoom.us/j/71930004049?pwd=TWIxbndwd3NtTTVOK2NnNVFGZWcvUT09 Meeting ID: 719 3000 4049
Passcode: 852NnA Any questions call Karen at 845-729-0857
Rachel Circle: Ladies Group: 3rd Tuesday of every month 10:00 AM – 11:30 AM in the Frazer Room (B18). All ladies are invited to join. No Meetings in July & August. Contact Marita Root for more information.
Knitting for the Lord: Tuesday, evenings, 6:00 – 7:00 PM, Room B2. Prayer shawls are available for those in need. Please contact Sue or Lynne if you know of someone in need. Contact Sue Alcott or Lynne Masland for more information & for summer meeting places & times.
Choir: Thursdays 4:00 – 5:00 PM. Everyone is welcome to join. Contact Carla Fako for more information. No meetings after memorial day for the summer.
Note: If you need contact information for any of the leaders above, please contact the church office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 607-648-4339
Mission Update- “Good Deeds with Good News.”
With the changed environment in 2020, we have had a change in how we are delivering Missions to our local community. Thank you to ALL who have supported the Missions- both your prayers and with your gifts.
- We are collecting School supplies: Please call 845-729-0857 for a socially distanced pick-up of school supplies to help our local children.
- We have continued to support the Whitney Avenue Men’s Rescue Mission with dinner on the 4th Wednesday each month and have commitments to supply dinner through this year!
- Monthly Missions : May Mission: UMCOR. June Mission: Church World Service Blankets. July Mission: Whitney Avenue Rescue Mission. August Mission: CHOW .September: School Supplies. October: RedBird Mission Shoeboxes, November: Thanksgiving Bags (more info to follow for October, November and December)
September 30 from 8 am-1 pm we will be having an American Red Cross Blood Drive! Please consider donating. Use this for registering: . CHENANGOUMC
We have resumed Food Collection for the 4th Sunday of the Month for CHOW. Please call to register for food pick up, 8 am-10 am on September 27. We will be collecting food the 4th Sunday of the month from 8-10am. Please leave on the front porch and we will pick up. There will also be a collection bin as you enter Fellowship Hall as well. Thank you!
Chenango Bridge Fire Department Cider Sale Fundraiser: Our Fire Co. will be having their Annual Cider Sale Fundraiser in front of our church on Friday, Oct. 16th & Oct. 30th from 7 AM to 6 PM or sold out. Please help support our fire department.
The Upper Room Devotional is also available on the internet. Here is a link to the Upper Room devotional: https://www.upperroom.org/ or you may call :
- If you do not pay for long distance (most cell phone plans include long distance) you can call 1.615.212.2013
- If you do pay for long distance calls, please call 1.877.600.7218
Other online devotionals that you may be interested in are Our Daily Bread which you may get to from this link: https://odb.org/ Just click on the today’s devotional & it will take you to it. It will also read it to you if you would prefer that. Also Girl Friends in God which you may access at this link: https://girlfriendsingod.com/. You may also sign up & have both of these emailed to you.
Maines Give Back Program Fundraiser: For every twenty (20) dollars spent, our church receives $1.00. Obtain your Maines membership card application from the church secretary Monday – Thursday 8 AM – 1 PM or email: email@example.com or from this website under the forms section. You may also apply directly at Maines store. If you do this please give us your name so that we may add you to our list. Thank you!
Knitting for the Lord has prayer shawls & prayer blankets available for those in need please contact Sue Alcott or Lynne Masland if you know of someone in need.
Knitting for the Lord is once again accepting machine washable yarn. Thank you for all of your help & support in our missions.
Fund Raiser for First United Methodist Church of Chenango Bridge. Present this advertisement (below) and 10% of all work done will be donated to the church. For all questions and appointments please contact Quality Steam Cleaning. (You may also find this coupon in the back of the church or contact the church office.
For all questions or appointments contact Quality Steam Cleaning.
If you drop off items to the CRC room please leave your name & contact information for the ladies. Thank you for your help & assistance