“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.” Romans 12:2 (NIV)
Change is great on the outside, but real change comes from the inside out. It’s more than cosmetic; it’s more than a skinnier version of the same old you. God wants you to be made new from the inside out – spirit, soul, and body.
God puts them in that order in his Word: “May the God who gives us peace make you holy in every way and keep your whole being – spirit, soul, and body – free from every fault at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Thessalonians 5:23).
God knows that real change comes from the inside. Ephesians 4:23 says, “Be made new in the attitude of your minds”.
There are two words in the verse from Romans 12 that we need to focus on —
- Conform. According to the dictionary, conform means to “make or become the same” or “to behave in a conventional way by accepting without question the customs, traditions and prevailing opinions of others.” How often do we do this? We think, “Oh everybody else is doing it so it must be okay.” But God says, “Don’t conform to the ways of this world. Stop and think about what you’re doing.”
- Transform. Transform means “to change the condition, function, nature, character or personality” of something. It means changing from the inside out. In Romans 12, Paul says to transform yourself not by trying to be like the rest of the world, but by renewing your mind, by changing the way you think.
God wants a new you who not only looks different, but who lives and thinks and speaks and acts differently. He wants a new you who has taken a 180-degree turn and is headed in a new direction, no longer pursuing an old way of life, no longer trying to conform and fit in and be like everybody else. He wants a new you who is being transformed by the renewing of your mind – a new you who is being transformed into the likeness of Christ.
Grace & Peace, Pastor Bob
We are once again meeting for Worship but the church is strongly recommending that you still mail your donations into the church due to the Covid19 virus restrictions there will be no offertory during worship but we will dedicate your gifts to God. If you bring your offering into church with you, the usher will direct you to the offering basket.
* Monday’s of every week we will collect, record and deposit any pledges, Donations and Loose Funds. Please mail to the church at: 1st UMC of Chenango Bridge, PO Box 501, Chenango Bridge, 13745.
* Bank Accounts and Expenses will be reviewed weekly to ensure Bills are paid in a timely manner.
* Any financial questions should be directed to David Lewis at 607.727.0250.
* Search for any potential financial opportunities that will provide additional income to meet the continue operation expenses through this unknown period.
God Bless & Stay Safe, FIRST UNITED METHODIST CHURCH, CHENANGO BRIDGE-CHURCH COUNCIL
Special Worship Services
Easter Worship Service, April 4th, 10 AM
Online on FB here & in-person
Social distancing & facemasks required for all services.
Come celebrate the resurrection of Jesus with us!
Pastor’s Study & Prayer Group (Online Only): Sunday mornings 11:30 AM. Everyone is welcome to join. Contact Pastor Bob at (910) 260-0551 or 648-4326 or firstname.lastname@example.org for password or more details to join the group. Everyone is welcome!
Ladies Monday Night Book Study: Monday evenings 6:30-8:00 pm. (Online Only) Please contact Karen MacKenzie at 845-729-0857 or email@example.com for details if you would like to join the group via Zoom (online). Everyone is welcome to join!
Upper Room, devotionals available, contact the church office, 648-4339 & we will mail you one. The Upper Room Devotional online: https://www.upperroom.org/devotionals. If you do not pay for long distance you can call 1.615.212.2013 or a free call 1.877.600.7218
Other online devotionals: Our Daily Bread link: https://odb.org/ Girl Friends in God link: https://girlfriendsingod.com/.
South Georgia Conference
Pastor mixes baking with Bible study
COLUMBUS, Ga. — Like thousands of others, the Rev. Adriane Burgess found solace in the kitchen amid the pandemic. The pastor of St. Mary’s Road United Methodist Church now has combined her love of sweet treats and Scripture in a regular Facebook video series named “Dessert. Devotion.” If you would like to check out Rev. Adriane Burgess Dessert. Devotion here is the Facebook link: Rev Dr Adriane M. Burgess – Home | Facebook
Note: If you need further information, please contact the church office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 607-648-4339.
Mission Update- “Good Deeds with Good News.”
As we move forward in this Covid -19 environment, we should try and remember our blessings. ”And don’t forget to do good and share with those in need.” — Hebrews 13:16
March Mission: Our March Mission is for Church World Service Blankets and Kits to families impacted by hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding and other crises (including homelessness and poverty). Each blanket is $10. We would like to be able to send 20 blankets with your donations. If you would like to contribute, please send a check and write CWS Blankets in the memo line. Thank you for embracing your neighbors in many different ways through your gifts.
American Red Cross Blood Drive: April 6th, Fellowship Hall, 1-6 PM. Who will roll up their sleeve to save a life? Blood donations that test positive for COVID-19 antibodies could provide convalescent plasma for critically ill coronavirus patients. If you receive a vaccine, knowing the name of the manufacturer (e.g. Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson and Johnson) is important in determining your eligibility. In most cases, there’s no deferral time if you receive the vaccine. See you then and tell a friend. redcrossblood.org, donor code CHENANGOUMC.
We are continuing to support the Whitney Avenue Rescue Mission by delivering Pizza (socially distanced) on the 4th Wednesday of the month to the residents. If you are interested in supporting this Mission, please contact Donna James for further details. Continue reading