“I doubt God is even there!”
Wow! This has been quite a summer in our nation.
A bizarre political campaign
Personal illnesses and family break-ups
It’s enough for many people to ask, “Is God here? Does God even care?” Of course my question implies that there is a god. And I know many people believe there is no god. But I believe God is present, active, and has a plan to bring good to those who love Him.
And God loves us all regardless of who we are, what we do, where we live, and how we look. God loves you! And God has a purpose for your life. How do I know that? Because I trust Jesus Christ is God’s son who came to bring us all into a loving, peace-filled, and joy-full relationship with our loving God, who made us.
Call me crazy in the face of the reality of this life, but I experience Jesus with me. When I am discouraged, Jesus lifts me up. When I am afraid for the future, Jesus reminds me that all things are in his care, for he is God. When I can’t see the plan or the way to go, Jesus comforts me and strengthens me to pause, think, learn, consider, and do just the next step.
Every Sunday morning, we invite people to gather to “love God with all your heart, soul, mind, and strength.” People who accept and act upon that invitation; people who gather to love God with all their will, emotions, intellect, and actions, we are the ones for whom God makes all things work for good. This invitation is never limited to a select few. It’s open to everyone who hears it and decides to act on it. And until we do, we wonder “Is God even there?” Experiencing God comes when we trust God.
So I invite you, once again, to meet with me as we love God with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength. Only then will we be empowered to love our neighbors as ourselves. And we all know our world needs that.
I’ll see you Sunday!
Vacation Bible School 2016
Thank you to all those who helped with the learning & fun!
Registration form is available here in the Sign Up Form folder.
Disciple 1 – Becoming Disciples Through Bible Study
Leader: Shirley Prentice
Disciple 2 – Into the World
Leader: Dottie Brownlow
Disciple 1 and 2 classes begin on Sunday’s in the fall:
Sunday, September 11 – Orientation and pick up books;
September 18 – First Session
Class Time to be determined by class members.
Cost of Book: $39.99 (Couples may share a book.)
Sign-up sheets are in the back of the church or contact Kathy Smith (648-2555), Dottie Brownlow (693-1393) or Shirley Prentice (648-3485) for more information.
Red Bird Mission Collection:
All items must be new for the Christmas Assistance Program. We serve children ages 0-18.
- Personal Hygiene Items: Shampoo, Conditioner, Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Deodorant, Hairbrush, Body Lotion, Bath Towel, Hand Towel, Washcloth, Sheet Set (Twin, Full and Queen), Blanket
- School Supplies: Pens, Markers, Colored Pencils, Glue, Primary Paper, College ruled paper, Mesh or Transparent Back Packs, TXI 30XA Scientific Calculators, English & Spanish Dictionaries, Scissors, Construction Paper, Binders
- Toys: Age Appropriate Items-Dora the Explorer, CD players, fishing rods, push trucks for toddlers Games: Clue, Yahtzee, Monopoly, Scrabble, Checkers Basketballs, Footballs, Softballs and Bats Teen Gifts: MP3 Players, Jump drives, CD Players, Journals, disposable cameras, photo albums • Educational Items: Crafts, Models, Blocks, Puzzles, Coloring Books, Books
- Christian Items: Bibles age specific – ex. Zondervan NIV Teen Devotional Bibles, children’s bibles, Devotional Materials, Coloring Books, etc.
- Christmas Items: Wrapping Paper, ornaments, bows, tape, books
- Clothing: Underwear, Socks, Hooded Sweatshirts, Coats, Pajamas, etc. • Batteries
- Gift for Mom & Dad: Shaving Cream, Razors, Cosmetic Bags, Cookware, Tupperware, Tools, Flashlight
If you have questions regarding this mission project, or would like to help out please contact Joyce Neumann (231-3607) or the church office (648-4339).
34th Annual CHOW Hunger Walk:
Sunday, September 18th, 2016, Binghamton University. Registration & Festivities: 1 PM. Walk around campus 2 PM. Free lunch for all walkers provided by Binghamton University Dining Services. Live performance by Several Sons! Raffles, kids’ games & activities.